Installation Issues with SharePoint and Windows 2008…

One of my first tasks on the new job was to resurrect a portal that was running on SharePoint before the catastrophic domain controller failure. It was a bit of a pain and quite a bit of trial and error, especially since I’d never used MOSS 2007 (or any other version for that matter) but everything seems to have come out correctly. I wanted to blog a few items that I ran into while attempting this so that others might be spared some pain.

As a side note, I REALLY have a problem with UAC and all the hoops that you have to jump thru just to get things done. And even though I did all the things I believe I needed to do, I was still unable to get SQL to attach any database file that I hand copied into the Data folder in Program Files. Blech!!

So here’s the configuration: Windows 2003 (Domain Controller), Windows 2008 x64 (Beta 2 I believe) and SQL 2005 for the SharePoint server. There weren’t any actual SharePoint backups that I know of only the SQL files so that negated the “restore” option.

I have to say, the MOSS install is quite nice and very fast (thankfully since I did it way more times than I’ll ever admit). I was attempting to spin up the first service, Excel Calculation Service, when I hit my first snag. Clicking on the links to start the service yielded no action. No postback, no nothing. Crap. It’s a simple fix: turn off Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration. You can find it here the “Server Manager” under “Security” | “Configure IE ESC”.

IE Extended Security

Unfortunately, turning it off only caused the links to start posting back correctly. The service still wouldn’t start and was giving an obscure error (sorry, didn’t write that one down). In order to start the service you must run the following from a command prompt (don’t forget to “Run as administrator” or else it won’t work):






 
"c:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedWeb Server Extensions12binSTSADM.EXE" -o provisionservice -action start -servicetype "Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.ExcelServerSharedWebService, Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server, Version = 12.0.0.0, Culture = neutral, PublicKeyToken = 71e9bce111e9429c"

After that, everything else seemed to work out just fine in getting SharePoint up and running.

Now to get the old databases back online was easier than I thought it would be, once I attempted it a few times. Reattach the databases in SQL and then give their name when creating the new SSP. You should have 4 databases total to reattach; here were ours – SharedServices_DB, SharedServices_Search, WSS_Content, WSS_Content_4be54UGLYASS2bGUID4d21. By attaching the databases with my user as the owner and having me as the admin on SharePoint, I had no permissions issues in getting into the old content and only had to remove and re-add the users for the permissions to be applied correctly.

Honestly, I really enjoyed working with MOSS. Which is good considering I’ll probably be working with it quite a bit in the near future. It’s so much more than the Content Management System I thought it was. Now I’m off to throw together my first web part.

Advertisements

2 Responses to Installation Issues with SharePoint and Windows 2008…

  1. Thanks for the info on MOSS. If you guys use it, I would definitely like to hear about the wiki features and a follow up to your experiences thus far.

    JOhn

  2. dvsteven says:

    Thanks you solved my excel services problem. I’d like to mention that on Server 2003 it’s under add\remove programs\windows components.
    Thanks again,
    Steven

%d bloggers like this: